Compilation and Logging¶
This section provides highlights of the Idris compilation process, and provides details over how you can follow the process through logging.
Idris follows the following compilation process:
- Type Checking
- Totality Checking
- Code Generation
- Resolving variables
- Code Generation
Type Checking Only¶
With Idris you can ask it to terminate the compilation process after type checking has completed. This is achieved through use of either:
- The command line options
- The REPL command:
Use of this option will still result in the generation of the Idris binary
.ibc files, and is suitable if you do not wish to generate code from one of the supported backends.
The internal operation of Idris is captured using a category based logger. Currently, the logging infrastructure has support for the following categories:
- Code generation
- Coverage Checking
- IBC generation
These categories are specified using the command-line option:
--logging-categories CATS, where
CATS is a quoted colon
seperated string of the categories you want to see. By default if this
option is not specified all categories are allowed. Sub-categories
have yet to be defined but will be in the future, especially for the
Further, the verbosity of logging can be controlled by specifying a
logging level between: 1 to 10 using the command-line option:
- Level 0: Show no logging output. Default level
- Level 1: High level details of the compilation process.
- Level 2: Provides details of the coverage checking, and further details the elaboration process specifically: Class, Clauses, Data, Term, and Types,
- Level 3: Provides details of compilation of the IRTS, erasure, parsing, case splitting, and further details elaboration of: Instances, Providers, and Values.
- Level 4: Provides further details on: Erasure, Coverage Checking, Case splitting, and elaboration of clauses.
- Level 5: Provides details on the prover, and further details elaboration (adding declarations) and compilation of the IRTS.
- Level 6: Further details elaboration and coverage checking.
- Level 7:
- Level 8:
- Level 9:
- Level 10: Further details elaboration.